Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

A Day of Potatoes

                             

So after my Spanish project, which I made an A+ on by the way, I decided to try my hand at cooking again. I was looking through some of my mom's recipe books when I came upon "Twice-Baked Potatoes".  I had heard my mom say how good they were and that they were hard to make. I was up for a challenge. So I went in the kitchen and started getting out the ingredients. 

The ingredients were considerably easier to find this time, and I knew that there were always potatoes in our house...except when I am about to make some. I looked in the potato bag and groaned. There were about seven little potatoes and one big one. I was hoping to make about six big ones, but I had to work with what I had. I washed them, wrapped them in foil, and threw them in the oven. That was the easy part.

An hour later, I got the baked potatoes out. The recipe said to wait ten minutes for them to cool before working with them. Well, ten minutes wasn't enough. I tried pulling the foil off of one and quickly let go of it. I grabbed a potholder and pulled off the rest of the foil. The potato was steaming and I knew the others would be the same. I used the potholder on all of them and it worked out okay.

Next, I had to scoop out the potatoes and make little bowls out of them. That was not easy! I took the bigger one first and got a big spoon. The potato almost broke several times and finally I realized how much easier it would be if I was using a littler spoon. I had gotten through about four when one really broke on me. I put it in the pan anyway. When I was finally done with that, I looked at my 'potato bowls' as I had deemed them and they didn't look too bad. Once I had made the filling, I put it in the potatoes and put them back in the oven. When they were done, I put slices of cheese on them and they looked pretty good. (Even the broken one.) My mom, grandma, and grandpa really liked them. Mission accomplished. 

1 comment: