Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pineapple Everywhere!


For my next cooking adventure, I decided to try and make a pina colada cake. One of my friends brought that to school as their Spanish project and I really liked it. I went online and looked for a recipe and got annoyed immediately. There were so many different recipes and none of them looked like the one my friend made. Finally I found one that sounded good and looked easy enough to make. I wrote down all the ingredients, and my mom and I went to the store and got them. The only thing we couldn't find was cream of coconut. To be honest, neither of us had ever even heard of cream of coconut, so we substituted with a can of coconut milk.

When it came time to make it, I got out all of the ingredients. I made a lot of substitutions. It called for one can of pineapple rings and one can of crushed pineapple. I had two cans of crushed pineapple. It wasn't as aesthetically pleasing, but it worked. I used white cake mix. The recipe I was using called for yellow, but a lot of the other recipes I looked at said white and I thought the white was better. Lastly, it called for two tubs of cool whip. One was plenty. I even had some to spare.

To make the cake, the recipe said to drain the pineapple and use it in replacement of water. If you have ever tried to drain crushed pineapple in a small straining lid, I know your pain. There was crushed pineapple everywhere!  Next, I poured half of the batter in a pan. I then had to spread the crushed pineapple over the batter evenly. I eventually used my hands to make it more even, again crushed pineapple everywhere. I then poured the rest of the batter over it and put it in the oven.

While that was baking, I made the frosting. I mixed the cool whip, coconut milk, and yes, more crushed pineapple. Then I decided to add in my own ingredient, maraschino cherry juice. I love maraschino cherries! It made the frosting a little runny, but it was good and it made a pretty pink color. When the cake was baked and frosted, I sprinkled shredded coconut over the top and maraschino cherries. My family tried it and my mom loved it. It didn't taste like my friend's did, but it was still really good.


2 comments:

  1. It was delicious! I hope you make another one someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of baking this sometime this week. I'll just make regular upside down pineapple cake since I haven't ever heard of cream of coconut either!

    ReplyDelete